The pulldown exercise is a strength training exercise designed to develop the latissimus dorsi muscle using a pulldown machine.
It performs the functions of downward rotation and depression of the scapulae combined with adduction and extension of the shoulder joint.
What muscles does the lat pulldown work?
The cable lat pulldown is done where the handle is moved via a cable pulley, as opposed to doing pulldowns on a leverage machine. (source: wikipedia )
The lat pulldown is a compound exercise, meaning it works several joints at once — and thus, several muscles.
While the latissimus dorsi is the primary muscle worked, the biceps and muscles of the forearm act as helpers. Several of the muscles of the rotator cuff also assist as you pull the bar down. ( read more on livehealthy )
Top 6 Cable Lat PullDown Machine
Valor Fitness CB-12 Plate Loading Lat Pull Down
$267.97 in stock
- Steel frame measuring: 2-Inch x 2-Inch 12 gauge steel tubing
- Locking pull-pins for adjustments
- Assembly Instructions: -Assembly required
XMark Lat Pulldown and Low Row Cable Machine XM-7618
- High and low pulley stations
- 400 lb. maximum load capacity
- For use with standard or Olympic plate weights
- 11-gauge steel mainframe construction with scratch resistant powder coat finish
- Optional cable machine attachments and bars are available from Xmark
Fitness Reality X-Class Light Commercial Olympic Lat Pull Down
- 360 lbs of real weight plate capacity. Includes high (lat) and low row pulley Systems
- High tensile strength nylon coated cable. Included attachments are one 44" lat bar and one 20" low row bar with high Density foam grips
- Easy glide 2" x 2" chrome plated attachment post. Includes 1 standard weight plate bar and two 1-inch spring Clip collars
- 2 inch Olympic plates can be used with Olympic Adapter sleeves (2 sleeves included as a free gift)
- Effective for strengthening the upper back, shoulders and arms (biceps and triceps). designed to be used with Fitness Reality X-Class power cage and utility benches (sold separately)
Valor Athletics PLG Lat Pull/Curl/Ab Home Gym
- 4 adjustment positions for seat pad: +/- 5" range
- Front Lower Cable Attachment for Leg Extensions or Stand Up Curls or Pulls
- Adjustable front foot plate for seated rows, stand up rows or curls
- Lat pull down with storage hooks
- Two accessory chains for accessory attachment. Weight Plates NOT included.
Powerline PLM180X Lat Machine
- Free-weight lat machine for targeting upper body muscles
- Dramatically accelerates strength, endurance, and muscle mass
- Supports lat pull downs, tricep press downs, seated rows, and more
- Dual-position 8-inch foam rollers hold you securely in position
- Wide-grip bar; patented nylon bushings for smooth operation
Body-Solid Pro Lat Machine
- No-cable-change technology" makes transitions between high and low pulley exercises effortless
- Thick, comfortable durafirm seat pad
- Patented nylon Bushings provide smooth weight carriage travel
- Comfortable, multi-position 8 inch foam rollers lock you in position for high pulley lat work
The Top 5 Cable Lat PullDown Exercises
Once you get the PullDown Machine, here the most efficient exercises for Back Strengh:
- Single-Arm Lat Pull-Down
- Wide-Grip Lat Pull-Down
- Behind-The-Neck Lat Pull-Down
- V-Bar Pull-Down
- Reverse Close-Grip Lat Pull-Down
Find the detail for each PullDown Machine Exercises on 5 Lat Pull-Down Variations For An Impressive Physique
How to use Cable Lat Pulldown Machine ?
How To: Lat Pulldown | 3 GOLDEN RULES
The slightest change in your form can take the focus of this exercise our of your LATS and place more emphasis on your biceps and upper back.
But after you watch this video you will know EXACTLY what to do to not only master the exercise, but build some serious muscle with it!
Quick Tip: How to Perfect Your Lat Pull Downs
Training expert to HUMANFITPROJECT, Mike Beringer demonstrates the proper execution of the cable lat pulldown.
Cable Lat Pulldown: How to Engage Your Lats
Cable Lat Pulldown: How to Engage Your Lats
Close Grip Front Lat Pulldown – Back Exercise
Add this front lat pulldown exercise to your back workout! Close-Grip Front Lat Pulldown
Sit down on a pull-down machine with a wide bar attached to the top pulley. Make sure that you adjust the knee pad of the machine to fit your height.
These pads will prevent your body from being raised by the resistance attached to the bar. Grab the bar with the palms facing forward using the prescribed grip.
As you breathe out, bring the bar down until it touches your upper chest by drawing the shoulders and the upper arms down and back.
The upper torso should remain stationary (only the arms should move).
The forearms should do no other work except for holding the bar; therefore do not try to pull the bar down using the forearms.
After a second in the contracted position, while squeezing your shoulder blades together, slowly raise the bar back to the starting position when your arms are fully extended and the lats are fully stretched.
Inhale during this portion of the movement.